Monday, February 19, 2007

Carnaval in Maastricht

I just from home from Carnaval in Maastricht, a city in the souther tip of the Netherlands very close to both Belgium and Germany. What a weekend! Abby, Lauren, and I left on Saturday afternoon and got to Maastricht at around 6. The train ride there was a little confusing. We didn't realize that the train would split in two and go to two different destinations close to the end. Thankfully, one of the conductors told us when he was validating our tickets. We were able to stay with some friends of mine from Macalester who are on the Globalization program there.

Carnaval in Maastricht is amazing. Envision Halloween, with everyone dressed up, very elaborate costumes, family themes, funny music, and three days long. It is about just having a good time. I saw kids juggling, watched the best, and longest, parade I've ever seen, and witnessed the consumption of a lot of beer by a lot of Dutch people. It was also amazing to see some familiar faces. Thanks to Blythe and Jessica for letting us stay in your rooms and for being such great guides of the city!

I have literally hundreds of pictures from this weekend. Unfortunately, my batteries are dead in my camera so I have to get more before I can upload them onto my computer.

Also, I got a SkypeIn phone number. This means that I have a St. Paul phone number that will ring my computer. (651)319-9954. Emily called and left me a great voicemail. I was also able to call Mitch through it and talk to him for a few minutes today. He was in Mexico all of last week, so it was really hard to talk and correspond. It was great to hear his voice again, especially after such an exhausting weekend.

No comments: